Grievances and tribunal advice

As a group we are here to act as a central hub for information and research, and to represent the views and concerns of our membership through industry-level advocacy, but we are unable to offer any direct representation or formal advice in individual cases or grievances. We are, however, committed to giving you information on how best to proceed in such situations, and we have put together the resources below to advise on the best routes to follow and from where you can get the best support.

Firstly, we advise that you check out your company’s grievance procedures and try to resolve the matter with the involved parties before proceeding to further action.

Remember that according to nidirect – government services:

‘Grievances are concerns, problems or complaints that employees raise with their employer. There is no legally binding process that you or your employer must follow when raising or handling a grievance at work.’

Every company will have different procedures to follow for this and they should be available in documents such as your company handbook, through your human resources department or through your intranet, if you have one.

The image below provides an overview of the progression of how grievance procedures should progress in most companies.

Grievance Procedure Flow Diagram - Showing the process employees should follow should they wish to raise a grievance.

Grievance Procedure Flow Diagram – Provided by CitizensAdvice

This document can be found by following this link.

Unison provide a more detailed flow diagram which is shown below for your reference.

Flow Diagram for Grievance Procedures - Showing detail on the process to follow.

Flow Diagram for Grievance Procedures

Timescales for Grievance Procedures - Showing detail on what you expectations should be.

Timescales for Grievance Procedures

For screen readers, please use the document attached here. Model-Grievance-Procedure-Agreement. Sample letters of procedure can also be found in the document.

More Advice


Checkout CIfA’s Standards and Guidance  documents which can be found on their webpage and feel free to contact them with questions or for advice about whether there has been a breach and what steps they would advise in this case.

Follow this link for CIfA’s standards and guidance page (link opens in a new tab)

Contact details for CIfA:

Chartered Institute for Archaeologists
Miller Building, University of Reading
Reading, Berkshire RG6 6AB

0118 378 6446

CIfA membership can also get you discounts on legal advice which may be of use to you if you decide to pursue your case.

Follow this link to find out about CIfA membership services (link opens in a new tab)


If you are an existing member of a union they will also be able to help out with advice and in some cases advocacy. However, it is important to remember that you often need to have been a member of the union before the incident or procedures began as many cannot help you out if this is not the case.

Below are a series of links which lead to advice from the Government and major Unions or organisations about grievances and tribunals. Remember to check out the .Gov website for the legal basis for your claim if you feel there has been a breach of workplace, discrimination or other law.

(All links open in a new tab)

Government guidance and advice.

Employment law and advice. 

Discrimination law and advice.

How to solve a workplace dispute.

Citizens advice bureau.

Dealing with grievances at work.

Different problems at work. – this link covers advice on tribunals, understanding disciplinary procedures and much more.

Unison – the public service union.

Unison advice on disputes and grievances. – this link covers advice on disputes, grievances, whistle-blowing and disciplinary procedures.

Prospect – the union for life.

Prospect offer a library of advice documents, which can be browsed by following this link. The topics covered include:


Employment Law,

Equal opportunities,

Health and safety,

Legal services,

Parent/Carer rights; and



Find out what Prospect can offer you by following this link.

Get advice through Prospect on unfair dismissal by following this link.

Find out what to do if you are affected by redundancy or organisational change by following this link.

The Government

The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (acas)

This is a government service which can offer help and advice on resolving workplace disputes. Find their contact details by following this link.

Find advice on raising a grievance at work by following this link. 

They have done research into accompaniment and representation, discipline and grievance in the workplace which can be found by following this link.

They also offer advice on disciplinary and grievance procedures which can be found by following this link.



We hope you find these links helpful and that you feel more supported and able to proceed through the information offered here.